Thank you for your interest in becoming a Habitat homeowner.
We believe that everyone should have a safe, affordable place to call home. To carry out our vision, we partner with individuals and families from application through construction to when the keys are handed over. By working with us from beginning to end, we can help prospective individuals prepare for the various responsibilities of homeownership, including learning about personal finances, mortgages, maintenance and upkeep of homes, and much more.
Habitat’s path to homeownership is an important and in-depth process, requiring hard work, time and dedication. But this helps to ensure the long-term success of Habitat homeowners.
To ensure efficiency for our prospective homeowners, we now have 2 application phases each year: January 2-31 and July 1-31.
The application window is now closed.
How Families are Chosen
You do not already own a home
You are currently living in substandard housing which would include any of the following conditions:
Home is in poor physical condition
Home is overcrowded
Rent is subsidized
Rent is more than 30% of income
Your household gross income is below 80% of the area median income
Willingness to Partner
Contribute 300 hours of “sweat equity”
Attend Habitat homeowner training workshops
Pay $2,400 toward closing costs
● You must have lived or worked in South Sarasota County affiliate boundary for the past 12 months, i.e., Osprey, Laurel, Nokomis, Venice, North Port or the Sarasota County side of Englewood.
● You must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien.
● If married, you must apply with your spouse.
● You must have 2 years of verifiable income and the ability to repay the mortgage.
● You must wait 3 years after foreclosure or bankruptcy has been finalized.
● Your household gross income must fall between the following income limits:
HFH SOUTH SARASOTA COUNTY
ANNUAL 2020 INCOME LIMITS
Family Size Minimum Maximum
1 $26,800 $42,850
2 $30,600 $49,000
3 $34,450 $55,100
4 $38,250 $61,200
5 $41,350 $66,100
6 $44,400 $71,000